Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Day 18 - Calling Barred Owls


The Barred Owl answered the call.

The Story - Through mutual campground friends, I discovered Debbie was able to "call" owls to her camp home.  I was intrigued - I wanted to experience it.   Using an app called iBird; this guy showed up.   We have all heard Barred owls making their distinctive hoot - "Who Cooks for you?  Who cooks for you-all"?  What I didn't know was they make several hoots depending on if they playing or courting.

At one point, even though we never visually spotted them, we could hear several owls calling and talking to one.  I am thinking they were having fun - possibly chatting about how silly we looked leaning our heads back to find them.

As I was photographing the Owl, he flew directly over head.  I moved my camera quickly, hence the out of focus shot.  What I like about the shot is it shows the Owl's wingspan.

Barred Owl, you are one awesome bird.  It was fun spending time with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment