Friday, August 22, 2014

Day 3 - On Target to Ride 72 miles in October


On my 2nd ride of  Wittenburg to Buck Creek (CJ Brown Dam), I  meet Vic who rides his age each year.  This October, he will be riding 72 miles!   Now that's a  "want to do" for another year.  


Ride 2 of 62 - Villa Staging area on the Buck Creek Trail to Buck Creek State Park.  14 miles.  

The Story - By chance, Vic and I meet in the parking/staging area as each of us arrived to ride and ended up riding together on our way out to Buck Creek State Park.  As we rode, he gently told me that his bike club tells women not to ride alone.  Ted was sick today so I was on my own - with a whistle around my neck and a small vile of pepper spray.  He did plant the seed - is it safe for me to ride alone on a bike trail?   I have to admit, I started to become anxious  as I rode the trail back alone.  

The next day, I decided to check some resources - good friends who are avid riders and hang with a lot of rides.  My girlfriend said it well - "I have never been afraid of riding alone. At this point in my life, I’m not willing to let some old fart make me paranoid."  Thanks for the concern and advice Vic,  but I think I will continue to ride alone if it is the difference between riding and not riding.  Of course, the best solution is to keep Ted well and riding with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment